Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 3:Technology and Autism

This week our attention is brought to how technology is incorporated with students with autism. The word “autism” scares a lot of educators; they seemed intimidated and have a hard time wrapping their head around it. For me, “autism” is just a word; maybe its because I work with students who go through the trials and tribulations of autism on a daily basis. I witness first hand the struggles of students not being able to communicate what hurts or what’s wrong or why they are jumping up and down and the list continues…I’ve become really good at guessing why my students are doing what they are doing.

 But my guessing abilities are enhanced by technology, as this weeks articles and webcasts showed. The article “Technology helps children deal with autism in school” offered an expansion on the use of apps as a teaching tool for students with autism to use to improve upon their ability to communicate and other skills. Through the use of the various types of technology that could be used from low (topic boards) to high (videotaping) along with software and hardware that are also available educators can focus on teaching students to effectively communicate.

 In my classroom (12:1:4), we offer numerous different types of assistive technology from hardware such as a Dynavox equipped with a head mouse, to enlarged print keyboard and an adaptive keyboard. We also offer numerous different type of software such as Zoomtext to enlarge the screen and Co-Writer to help students write. Additionally, we have an iPad to help reinforce positive behavior. The iPad has numerous different games as well as educational resources that help students count money, learn geography, and facilitate critical thinking. 

As shown in the webcast, “A Clear Picture: The Use and Benefits of PECS, in my classroom we  utilize the PECS system. With the help of Boardmaker we create symbols for our students to communicate effectively. These tools are essential at helps students focus on their abilities while putting aside their disabilities. I also enjoyed reading through the Autism Speaks website. This website offers great insight to finding apps for students with autism. It’s a great place for parents and teachers to start if they lack experience with incorporating technology for students with autism. Additionally, Autism Speaks is a great resource to research about autism and how to help a student with autism become successful in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog for this week. You brought in your own experience and knowledge of autism and related it back to the readings. Like you, I also work with students who have autism and have the chance to use assistive technology that is created to enhance student learning. I like how you mentioned the different resources and apps that you use with your students. Some of them I had not heard of and hope to try out with my students. I also use the PECS system in my classroom. Boardmaker makes it so easy to create the PECS cues and produces pictures that are easily understood by students. Using PECS, gives my students a chance to communicate and express their wants and needs. I also think that the Autism speaks website is a great tool for teachers and parents. I found some neat apps on the site and plan to use them with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it insightful to read about your experiences with students with autism. I would not disagree with you that educators are "scared" of the term, mostly I feel because they cannot understand it in black and white. As a teacher, I know that I personally like having a direct answer and learners with autism vary so significantly that it is worrisome to me to try and best fit these students needs. I am glad to read that with you experience and interactions with your students you are able to understand what they are doing and why based on specific needs and wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale,
    I agree with you that many teachers feel intimidated by labels and specifically Autism. I also shared your approach and did not take too much time thinking about my students' labels but rather took the time to get to know them and then used my observations to make decisions on how to work with them at any given moment. I think you also have to be willing to fail and make mistakes. Perseverance is also essential, in realizing that one failed trial does not mean something will not work but maybe you can try again a different day at a different time.

    ReplyDelete