Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Week 5: Technology for Gifted and Talented Students


Unlike the past few weeks this class, I have very no experience with gifted/talented students. I found both readings this week really opened my eyes to fact that a child can have the potential to reach higher levels of accomplishment even while dealing with the affects of a learning disability. In order to do this, it is necessary for many gifted and talented students to use assistive technology.

The Virtual Learning article provided a nice glimpse into what gifted and talented student has to experience. Previously, I always assumed a child labeled as “gifted,” was at a much higher level as the rest of the students, and therefore needed to be challenged.  I never associated “that child” with also having a disability that they were trying to overcome. 

In the article, Sean was described as having low-vision, and therefore required the use of a computer to increase his ability to read text. The use of this type of assistive technology allowed Sean to build confidence and excel in the classroom.  Without this form of assistive technology, he may not have been given the opportunity to read more advanced texts simple because he could not see it. 

As educators it is our job to reach every student and make sure that each one is successful through differentiating our instruction on a daily basis in all subject areas. By broadening our teaching we can accommodate al types of students. Both articles call for merging technology with advanced curriculum can allow teachers to reach those students are well above the rest of their peers with limited teacher involvement. One way to merge technology with curriculum is by implementing a Web Quest. This instructional method allows a student to work with most or all information around a given topic using the internet and other computer resources with specific guided instructions from the teacher. Depending on what is being studied in class you may also allow your students to take a virtual trip through a museum such as one of my favorite museums, the Natural history Museum in D.C. and equip them with a viewer’s guide (The hope Diamond, most famous diamond in the world is located on the second floor. Be sure to check it out). I believe that the possibilities are endless when it comes to using technology to enhance and enrich our curriculum and daily lessons.

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I have also had minimal to no experience working with students who are gifted and talented. Both of the articles provided great information about working with this type of student. I found the idea of the virtual learning environment to be inspiring. Creating a virtual learning environment provides the student with so many learning opportunities and it is a great way to individualize their learning. I think that differentiating instruction is important when teaching students. Each lesson should be taught in a way that every student understands the material and that every student has the resources they need to learn. I also believe that technology is a great way to enhance student learning and enrich daily teaching. I like how you choose to include a link this week. That is definitely a useful resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have not had any experience with gifted or talented learners, that I know of. However, now I am less sure that I have not come across a student who may have been and I may not have known because they were also disabled. When thinking of a gifted or talented learner, for some reason I never thought of them as also having a disability, which is a problem. These readings really opened my eyes to all of the differences between learners and how important it is to have a variety of learning styles to make sure that each individuals needs are met. I completely agree with what you said about using assistive technology. I believe that everyone can benefit from assistive technology in one way or another. Think of how much Universal Design has helped the means of living for people with and without disabilities. Overall, I agree that it is a teachers job to reach each student and having a VLE is definitely the right place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale,
    I am glad you had the opportunity to learn about an unfamiliar area. I was in the same boat when I took this class. It definitely serves as a great reminder that people we see as highly intelligent may be struggling in other areas and as our education system becomes more scripted and rigid, we may be losing many of these students in the cracks too, if they are not given the proper supports.

    ReplyDelete